Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Texas: Day 6. Last half day...a great way to end the trip!

We decided to use the remaining half day of my involvement in this trip to check local parks in Harlingen for Groove-billed Ani. Since it was local, we didn't get up until 7:00am (vs. the 4:30am and 5:30am alarms of the previous days). It was a beautiful day with very little wind! It figures...last day here...and it's a half day!

While getting ready I checked the Texbirds listserv and saw that there was a TROPICAL PARULA found the day before near the Convention Centre on South Padre Island. This was one species I was hoping for but really didn't expect. Plans changed immediately. South Padre Island is only a 35 minute drive from Harlingen and, since the Spring breakers were all still sleeping or hung over, there was no traffic.

Upon arrival I was pleased to see that the spot where this bird was found is a very small grove of trees next to the Convention Centre which is surrounded by salt marsh...this was an isolated oasis. As I returned to the car to get my camera, Dad came running around the corner to get me because he had found it! It gave all great views for the hour that we were there...beautiful lighting and it seemed oblivious to our presence as it would feed in the trees right over our heads.



Also in the grove were several butterflies...



...roosting MONARCHS...



...and PIPEVINE SWALLOWTAILS.



There was a BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER present as well. This is a very active species that rarely sits still. The nice weather following such severe winds was probably the reason this bird took a few minutes to preen itself...a sight I've never encountered in the 31 years I've been birding.





All in all a good trip despite the weather. 4 life birds for me and a few state birds for Dad. The Tropical Parula was such a great way to end the trip.

No comments: